Recipe by Lindsay Schoenrock | @pinchofpaleo_
(Gluten and Dairy Free)
- 1 cup warm almond milk, 110°-115°F
- 1 packet rapid yeast/instant yeast
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance soy free vegan butter, melted
- 2 eggs whisked, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum, omit if your flour already has it in it
- 1/2 cup MUIR Energy Cacao Almond energy gel
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Set your oven on the bread setting proofing (or 100°F).
- Add the coconut sugar into a large mixing bowl.
- Warm the almond milk to 110°-115°F (use a thermometer if possible). If the milk is too hot it will kill the yeast. Pour warm milk over the sugar and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the yeast over the milk and sugar mix and allow to it to bubble up for a few minutes.
- Melt the butter. Make sure the temperature of the butter is not over 115°F, then add it to the milk and yeast mixture.
- Add the eggs and the apple cider vinegar and mix until fully combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and xanthan gum (if needed). MIx on a medium speed until a sticky dough forms. The dough will be tacky and soft, but hold together in a ball - It should not completely stick all over your hands.
- Cover the bowl of dough with plastic wrap and place in the oven for 1 hour to rise.
- Remove the dough from the oven and preheat the oven to 350° F. Place the dough on top of parchment paper or a clean counter top, sprinkled with flour, and shape it into a rectangle. Dust a rolling pin with flour and roll out to about 1/2 inch thick.
- Warm up 1/2 cup MUIR Energy Cacao Almond energy gel in the microwave for 30 seconds. Carefully smooth the energy gel over the top of your dough. Leave a 1/2 inch bare space along one of the long edges.
- Using the edge of the parchment paper, fold the long edge with filling up towards the edge that is bare. Slowly roll the dough to form a log shape. Cut the log into 10-12 equal rolls.
- Place the rolls in a greased 9×13 or round baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes until they are light golden brown on top.
- Remove rolls from the oven and allow to cool. Then mix the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and 1 tablespoon almond milk to form an icing. It should be somewhat runny but not watery - adjust milk as needed. Drizzle the icing all over the top of the rolls. Serve warm